Table of Contents
State Procurement Manual Homepage
State Procurement Manual
Competitive Bidding Policy
||The Procurement Process
Authority: Wis. Stats. 16.001(1); 16.75(1)(a)
- to establish the policy on achieving competitive bidding in the states procurement process
- to establish responsibility for the development of procedures for the bidding process
- The State Bureau of Procurement has the responsibility to promote maximum competition in meeting the states procurement needs.
- The competitive bidding process is the preferred method for selecting suppliers of goods and services and is to be used in every case unless it can be determined, and justified, that competitive bidding is neither practical, on a given procurement, nor in the best interests of the state.
- Specifications will be written to foster competitive bidding and permit selection of the lowest responsible bidder.
- The Bureau of Procurement will develop procedures for the solicitation of competitive bids and the use of alternative means of procurement in those cases where competitive bidding cannot be reasonably or practically followed.
- Agencies to which authority has been delegated to perform purchasing functions are responsible for implementing competitive bidding procedures. In cases where discretion as to waiving of the bidding process has been delegated, the agencies responsible must justify in writing the use of such waivers.
- Some types of procurements do not lend themselves to competitive bidding, and the nature of some specific procurements preclude the competitive bidding process. In these cases, decisions to waive bidding will be based on established processes.
- In no case will the decision to waive the bidding process be based on the amount of a procurement.