Table of Contents
State Procurement Manual Homepage
State Procurement Manual
Prior Approval of Purchases/Unauthorized Purchases
||Contracting, Ordering, Receiving and Payment
Authority: Wis. Stats. 16.52(6); 16.72(4)(a); 16.77; Wis. Adm. Code Chapter Adm 10.04
- to establish policy on prior approval requirements
- to establish policy on unauthorized purchases
- All procurement actions require prior approval of the State Bureau of Procurement.
- Approval authority may, in some cases, be delegated to state agency offices. When so delegated, approval by the agency office is required prior to any procurement action.
- Any state employe who contracts for the purchase of materials or services contrary to a statute or to State Bureau of Procurement policies and procedures may be liable for the cost. If such materials or services are paid for out of public funds, the amount may be recovered in action filed by the Attorney General. Any procurement contract that is contrary to state statutes is void.
- In any case where prior approval has not been obtained, the State Bureau of Procurement requires the following data before it considers an after-the-fact approval request.
- Justification for the procurement itself.
- Justification for the lack of prior approval.
- A statement of management actions being taken to prevent repetition of the situation.
- The agency head's indication of review and approval.